BSLBT is looking for new directors
Do you want to direct a 28-minute programme?
Good news - BSLBT and Drummer TV are working together to launch a new initiative for directors who are ready to move up in their careers!
Who is this initiative for?
You must have worked in the media world for three years. For example, you must have…
- Worked as a shooting assistant producer, an assistant producer or VT director,
- Or have directed short films,
- Or have directed ONE half-hour TV programme for broadcast.
If that’s you, you can apply!
How will it all work?
If you are successful, you will be working with an experienced factual production company; Drummer TV. They will work with you throughout the project to make a 28-minute programme for broadcast.
- Key dates
- The deadline for applications is 17th January 2022.
- Interviews will be held at the end of January 2022.
- If you are successful, development and pre-production could start from the end of February 2022, and the project will finish sometime in either 2022 or 2023.
I'm interested! How can I apply?
You must confirm that you:
- Are Deaf,
- Are over 18,
- Live in the UK and have the right to work in the UK,
...and that your idea is your solely yours and exclusive.
- Agree to let both BSLBT and Drummer TV personnel discuss your idea.
- Agree that your application will be archived and saved on our internal IT systems.
- Understand that your idea may be similar to an idea BSLBT may already have in progress or that may be progressed in the future.
If you have any questions, please arrange a video call or email email@example.com.
The application process
You can meet the BSLBT EPs to discuss your ideas with them before the deadline (17th January 2022).
After that, you must EITHER send us THREE BSL videos OR write THREE documents in English:
VIDEO A/DOCUMENT A
Tell us about yourself and your media career- highlights and challenges, and where you see yourself in five years’ time.
(Video: 4 minutes maximum, OR document: 400 words maximum).
VIDEO B/DOCUMENT B
Tell us about your favourite documentary you have seen recently and tell us what you liked about this programme – style, story etc.
Also, did it inspire your own film in any way?
Was there one thing you would change, or not?
(Video: 3 minutes maximum, OR document: 300 words maximum).
VIDEO C/DOCUMENT C (treatment)
Create a treatment for your story EITHER in BSL (5 minutes maximum) or in written English (500 words maximum).
BSLBT and Drummer TV would like to receive your idea for a 28 minute OBS DOC telling a story in the present time, not the past, featuring a deaf contributor or (contributors) facing a CHALLENGE or making a BIG LIFE CHANGING decision right now. It must be filmed in the UK.
How to do a treatment
A treatment is a step-by-step explanation of your vision for your documentary, which you can deliver in either BSL or English.
In the treatment, we need you to tell us:
- What’s the log line? This is the overall message of your film. What do you want your audience to realise? This should make them excited to watch the documentary! This should be a short statement lasting about 30 seconds in BSL, or 50 words in written English.
- Give us a brief synopsis. This is a summary of your documentary, from start to finish. This should take about 60 seconds in BSL, or 100 written words.
- Explain in detail the story arc, characters and location of the film. Tell it like a story, from start to end; what happens, who does what and what are the main events. This should take about 3 and a half minutes in BSL, or 350 written words.
These three things together in one video or document are your treatment (VIDEO C or DOCUMENT C).
If you are sending us your information in BSL, please upload VIDEO A, VIDEO B and your BSL treatment (VIDEO C) to WeTransfer.com and label them as name/applynewdirector/videoA etc. Then please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org via WeTransfer.
If you are sending us written documents, please email them to email@example.com.
Reference and Privacy Notice
You must provide a reference from someone who thinks you have the potential to make a 28-minute factual programme. They must explain why they think you can do this. This can be in BSL, or it can be a written reference.
- Click here to read or watch the BSLBT Privacy Notice,
- Then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you have read/watched and understood the Privacy Notice.
- When you email, please attach the written reference, or let us know that you have sent us the BSL reference and via WeTransfer.
If you have any more questions, please email email@example.com and they can arrange a Zoom meeting, or answer by email.
Best of luck!