28-MINUTE FACTUAL TELEVISION PROGRAMMES – DEVELOPMENT FUNDING
We want programmes which reflect the richness and diversity of BSL and Deaf culture
What is BSLBT looking for?
We want a range of non-scripted programme ideas, both singles and series, which reflect the richness and diversity of BSL and Deaf culture.
We are particularly interested in:
• ideas for singles or pairs of programmes appropriate for post-watershed broadcast (after 9pm),
• ideas which have the potential for a series; these may be commissioned as a single pilot or as a series and must be appropriate for broadcast at 8am (suitable for all ages),
• programmes which explore stories about under-represented minorities,
• stories and non-scripted genres new to BSL Zone,
• children’s programmes. These can be shorter durations, but will be packaged as a 28-minute programme.
The programme ideas must:
• have contributors who use BSL, and be fully accessible to Deaf BSL users,
• be for a single 28-minute programme, pilot or series,
• reflect diversity on screen.
Who can apply for development funding?
This is aimed at
• Deaf directors,
• Deaf producers, and
• Deaf producer/directors,
who have one of these credits on at least one programme which has been broadcast on television, and are working with a UK-registered production company.
The company must have made at least one television programme for BSLBT or a UK broadcaster.
We will also consider co-productions between a company without the necessary track record that is working with a company which has produced a television programme. [Once a company has produced a programme for BSLBT on a co-production basis, the company would then be considered eligible to submit ideas on its own.]
What is the deadline?
• The closing date for completed applications is 31st January 2022.
Click here to download full details and an application form as a PDF file. Full details and the form are also available in BSL in the videos on this page.